Facilitated Enrollment

Welcome to Independent Living Inc.’s Facilitated Enrollment for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (FE-ABD) program!

Purple Infographic with a photo of three people seated at a table discussing health insurance applications. Text: Facilitated Enrollment. Do you need help with your... Medicaid Application (65+, Blind, Disabled) Medicare Application Medicare SavingsWhat is the Facilitated Enrollment Process?

  1. Connect with a Facilitated Enrollment Specialist to discuss eligibility.
  2. Coordinate with the specialist on the best way to proceed with applications.
  3. Determine applicable programs, gather necessary documentation, and submit applications to the relevant agencies.
  4. Respond to any follow-up correspondence regarding the applications.
  5. Once enrolled, further assistance from the specialist is not needed as the focus is on enrollment into the New York State Department of Health system.

We’re here to make the application process as smooth as possible for you!

Frequently Asked Questions

What is FE-ADB?

Our Facilitated Enrollment for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (FE-ABD) program is sponsored by New York State to assist people aged 65 and older, individuals who are blind, or those with disabilities in applying for public health insurance.

Where do we operate?

We provide FE-ABD services in Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Sullivan, and Ulster Counties.

How do we help?

Our Facilitated Enrollment team meets individuals wherever it’s most convenient for them, whether it’s in-person at home or a local community site, over the phone, or via other means.

How can you connect with us?

You can reach out directly to our Facilitated Enrollment Coordinator, Shawn Federighi, at 845-863-4171 or via email at sfederighi@myindependentliving.org. Alternatively, you can contact us via the Facilitated Enrollment Inquiry Form.

Contact Form

Thank you for your interest in our Facilitated Enrollment Program!

If you submit a question, someone will contact you back within 1 business day.
If you submit a general interest inquiry, you will receive periodic updates about our Independent Living Center News.

If you are experiencing an emergency or a crisis and require immediate assistance, please call 311.

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911. Thank you!